This post's average rating is: 5
Coconut chutney is a side dish made with fresh coconut and spices. Coconuts are widely used in Indian cooking especially south India. Fresh coconut is grated and grind with ginger, green chillies and fried gram into paste. It is seasoned with mustard seeds and curry leaves. The chutney is usually served as a side dish for breakfast with idli, dosa etc. This goes well with any indian meal.
Coconut chutney is mildly spicy with rich flavor. You can add the spices as per your preference and can make it more or less spicy. Chutneys are like sauce in Indian cuisine. There are many varieties of chutney that can be made with coconut.
1 cup fresh coconut, grated
2 tbsp fried gram
2 green chillies
Small piece of ginger, chopped
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 spring curry leaves
1 broken red chilli
- In a mixer jar, add grated coconut, fried gram, green chillies and ginger. Add water and grind it to paste.
- Transfer the grinded chutney to a bowl. Add salt to taste and water if needed. Mix everything well.
- Heat a tadka pan adding oil. Add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add curry leaves and broken red chilli. Add this immediately to the chutney. Close the lid for a minute or two. Mix well.
- Serve with idli, dosa, vada or any breakfast or meal of your choice.
- If you are using frozen coconut, add warm water while grinding.
- You can add a clove of garlic too for grinding.
- You can add coriander and mint too.
- If you like sourness in the chutney, add little tamarind while grinding. This also helps to increase the shelf life of the chutney.
- Consume coconut chutney on the same day of preparation. Keep the chutney in an airtight container and refrigerate for later use. However it does not stay good for more than a day.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.