Chicken lollipop is a crispy, juicy, hot & spicy appetizer. It is the most popular and delicious Indo Chinese starter. Chicken lollipop is simple to prepare at home and is enjoyed by both adults & kids. Every bite you take is crispy from outside and juicy inside.
Chicken lollipops are prepared using the middle segment of the chicken thighs/wings. You can make lollipops from chicken wings or drummets. The meat is cut from the bone slightly on one end of the drummets/wings and pushed towards the other end of the bone to appear like a lollipop. These lollipops are coated with spicy masala and deep fried into crispy delicious chicken starter.
The spicy masala which coats the chicken lollipop consists of red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste, pepper powder, turmeric, soy sauce, vinegar, corn flour, salt etc. Chicken lollipops that we get in restaurants have a deep red color as they add artificial color to it. You can avoid adding these colors at home and go ahead with the natural color of the spices. Red chilli paste prepared with kashmiri/byadgi chillies has been substituted for food color here.
Chicken has to be marinated well for couple of hours before frying it in hot oil. There are different ways you can prepare the chicken lollipops. You can also toss the fried lollipops in schezwan sauce for schezwan chicken lollipop. There are other varieties like tandoori chicken lollipop, chicken lollipop gravy, baked chicken lollipop etc. You can go creative and make your own.
Chicken lollipop makes a good appetizer for party and gatherings. It can be served along with Veg fried rice, schezwan fried rice, noodles etc. Chicken lollipops goes well with tomato sauce, schezwan sauce or just plain too.
For more chicken starter recipes, do check; fried chicken kababs, chicken tandoor, onion chicken kabab, pepper chicken, chicken chilli roast, Tangdi kabab, fried chicken legs, peri peri chicken, hariyali chicken kababs, hot & spicy garlic chicken, ginger garlic chicken,
½ kg chicken wing drummets or 12-15 chicken lollipops
1 inch ginger, chopped & crushed
10-12 garlic, chopped & crushed
1 tbsp red chilli paste
½ tsp pepper powder
½ tsp red chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp soy sauce
3 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp coriander leaves (opt)
Spring onions, for garnishing
Salt, to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Clean the chicken by removing the skin and fats. Rinse well several times until clear. Hold the chicken wing drummets and make a small cut at the bottom to separate the meat from the bone. Push the meat down wards to the other end.
- You will also get ready-to use chicken lollipops from the stores. This does not need any of the above process and can directly start with the preparation.
- Red chilli paste: in a bowl, add water and soak few spicy & byadgi/kashmiri red chillies (around 10-12 each). Soak it for around 30 minutes. Drain water and grind it to fine paste. Transfer it to a small bowl and add 1 tsp oil, pinch salt and mix well. Use as needed.
- In a wide bowl, add crushed ginger, crushed garlic, red chilli paste, red chilli powder, pepper powder, turmeric, lemon juice, soya sauce, chopped coriander leaves and salt to taste.
- Mix everything well and make a fine paste. Add chicken lollipops and coat well. Cover the bowl with a lid and rest it for 1-2 hours or for at least 30 minutes.
- After the resting time, add corn flour to the chicken. You can also use maida along with corn flour. Mix well and coat each chicken lollipop with the flour and spices. Check for salt and other spices at this stage. Add more if required.
- Heat a heavy bottomed kadai or wok and add enough oil for deep frying. Add chicken lollipops and deep fry on a high flame for a minute and later reduce the flame to medium.
- Cook both the sides of the chicken until golden brown. Remove from oil and transfer it to a plate and drain excess oil using a kitchen towel.
- Wrap the chicken lollipops towards the end of the bone using an aluminium foil if you prefer for a restaurant style presentation. Garnish chicken lollipops with chopped spring onions or coriander leaves.
- Serve hot chicken lollipop with schezwan sauce or tomato ketchup.
- Chicken lollipops can be tenderized with buttermilk for few hours before marinating.
- Ready to use chicken lollipops are easily available in super markets.
- Add spices more or less to suit your taste.
- White vinegar can be used instead of lemon juice.
- Red chilli paste can be refrigerated and used for other recipes too.
- Marinating the chicken is very important. It makes the chicken juicy.
- Corn flour can be substituted with rice flour too. the flour makes the chicken crisp.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.