Chicken ghee roast is a popular chicken recipe of Mangalore. It is a spicy & tangy chicken, roasted in ghee and fresh spices. As the chicken is roasted in ghee, the name ghee roast.
Chicken ghee roast is very delicious with an amazing flavor of ghee in it. Chicken is cooked in freshly ground spices and lot of ghee. This makes the chicken very special. You can prepare chicken ghee roast for any occasions or parties.
Chicken ghee roast has a deep red color which is got by using byadgi chillies. Spices and roasted well and ground coarsely which is later roasted in ghee along with chicken. Chicken ghee roast can be served with roti, chapathi or rice, but the best combo will be with Neer dosa.
For marinating chicken:
½ kg chicken
¼ cup curd
¼ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp lemon juice
For dry roasting:
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp pepper corns
½ tsp jeera /cumin seeds
¼ tsp methi seeds/fenugreek
10-12 byadgi or Kashmiri chillies
8-10 garlic cloves
2-3 spring curry leaves
½ cup ghee
- Wash chicken and cut them into pieces. Drain water completely and transfer it to a bowl.
- To the chicken, add curd, turmeric, lemon juice and salt. Mix well and rest it for 3-4 hours.
- Heat a pan and dry roast one by one, coriander seeds, pepper corns, jeera and methi seeds for few seconds. Transfer it to a plate and let it cool.
- In a bowl, add warm water and soak byadgi chillies for 15-20 minutes.
- Now grind, dry roasted spices along with soaked byadgi chillies and garlic cloves. Grind it coarsely adding very little water.
- Heat a pan or kadai and add ghee. Add marinated chicken and fry on a medium flame till chicken is 3/4th Transfer the chicken into a plate.
- To the remaining ghee add ground paste and fry for few minutes on a medium flame.
- Now add fried chicken and fry again in ghee and ground masala for few minutes on a low flame.
- Add little water, salt to taste and curry leaves. Mix well and cook.
- Once done, transfer it to a serving plate and garnish with fresh curry leaves.
- Serve hot with neer dosa, ghee rice, roti or chapathi.
- Do not replace ghee with oil. You will not get the taste and flavor of authentic chicken ghee roast.
- Also do not reduce the amount of ghee.
- Dry roast spices on a medium or low flame. do not burn them.
- The ground masala should not be a fine paste. Grind it coarsely.
- Use byadgi or kashmiri chillies for a bright red color.
- Chicken ghee roast is thick gravy. So do not add more water and make it runny.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.