Chicken dum biryani is a rich and delicious recipe prepared with basmati rice, chicken and awesome herbs & spices. Biryani is a classic and most favorite recipe of every Indian. Chicken dum biryani is very simple and can be easily made at home.
Chicken is cooked to spicy gravy and it is layered with cooked basmati rice. The pot is sealed tightly and cooked on a slow flame in a dum process cooking. Chicken dum biryani is very aromatic and flavorful as it is cooked with basmati rice and whole spices.
Biryani can be prepared in two ways; one is kacchi method and the other pakki. In kacchi method, marinated raw meat is layered with half cooked rice and the pot is sealed tightly with wheat dough. Biryani is cooked on a slow flame in the steam inside to perfection.
In Pakki method, meat and rice is cooked separately and layered in a pot. The pot is sealed and cooked on dum for few minutes. The recipe shared here is a pakki style chicken dum biryani. You can also check our kacchi Hyderabadi chicken dum Biryani recipe.
For more biryani recipes, do check: ambur chicken biryani, thalapakatti chicken biryani, Hyderabadi mutton dum biryani, ambur mutton biryani, thalapakatti mutton biryani, egg biryani, prawns biryani, Vegetable biryani.
To cook rice:
2 cups basmati rice
1 bay leaf
1 inch cinnamon /chakke
2 star anise
1 tsp shah jeera
1 tsp ghee
¼ tsp salt
Water, as needed to cook rice
For chicken gravy:
½ kg or 500 grams chicken
3 onions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
¼ tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp dhaniya/coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 cup thick fresh curd, (do not use sour curd)
¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped
¼ cup mint leaves, chopped
Ghee & Oil, as needed
Water, as required
4-5 almonds, sliced
5-6 cashew nuts
Saffron, few strands
¼ cup warm/hot milk
2 tbsp mint leaves, chopped
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
Ghee & oil, as required
- Wash chicken very well until clear and cut them into small or medium pieces. Drain all the water completely and keep it aside.
- Wash basmati rice few times until clear and soak it in enough water for 15-20 minutes.
- In a vessel, add 5-6 cups of water and allow it to boil. To the water, add bay leaf, shah jeera, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and star anise.
- Add soaked and drained rice to the hot water along with salt and a teaspoon of oil. Cook rice till it is 90% done. Drain the cooked rice using a colander and keep aside.
- Heat a kadai and add 2 tbsp oil or ghee or both. Once hot add sliced onions and fry till light brown. Take 2 tbsp fried onions and keep aside for garnishing. Now add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add cleaned chicken and fry for few minutes. Add red chilli powder, dhaniya powder, turmeric, garam masala powder and salt. Mix well and fry for 1-2 minutes on a medium flame. You can also use biryani masala powder.
- Close the kadai with a lid and cook chicken for 5 minutes. Add curd and mix well with the chicken. Cover the lid and cook on a medium flame until done. Keep stirring in between. Add chopped mint & coriander leaves.
- You can add little water if needed to the gravy, but do not add more. Chicken gravy should be slightly thick. Check salt and other spices and add if required.
- Heat a tadka pan and add ghee to it. Fry cashew nuts, raisins and almonds till light brown. Drain them on a kitchen paper. Add saffron strands to a bowl with warm/hot milk and rest it for 10 minutes.
- Now, take a heavy bottomed vessel and grease it well with ghee all over. Add chicken gravy to the vessel and layer it with cooked rice. Sprinkle chopped mint & coriander leaves, fried cashew nuts, almonds, raisins and fried onions. Pour the saffron milk from the sides and also add ghee on the top as required.
- Cover the vessel tightly with a lid and place a heavy weight on the lid so that the steam does not come out. You can also seal the vessel with wheat dough. Chicken and rice should cook evenly in the steam inside (dum process).
- Switch on the stove and heat a tawa. Place the biryani vessel on the hot tawa and cook on slow flame for 10-12 minutes.
- Once done, remove from tawa and keep aside for few more minutes. Open the lid and gently mix the biryani.
- Serve hot chicken dum biryani with raita.
- You can add cooked rice to the chicken gravy and layer it. No need to use another vessel for dum cooking.
- Chicken can be marinated with salt and ginger garlic paste for few minutes before cooking.
- Basmati rice, especially aged rice gives nice aroma to the biryani and hence recommended.
- Seal the edges of the biryani vessel tightly so that the steam does not come out. The steam inside the vessel helps in cooking chicken and rice evenly and gives a wonderful flavor and taste.
- You can use a microwave oven too to make biryani. Grease an oven proof bowl and add chicken gravy. Layer it with rice, mint & coriander leaves, fried nuts, onions and saffron milk. Cover the bowl with an aluminium foil and cook in a preheated oven @ 180 degree celsius for 15-18 minutes.
- Chicken dum biryani can be served with raita, salan, brinjal curry etc.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.