Chicken chilli roast is a kerala style spicy and delicious chicken fry recipe which is very easy and simple to prepare. The chicken has an amazing flavor of fried onions, garlic, pepper and other spices.
Chicken chilli roast is a tasty side dish which can be served with any Indian meal. The recipe requires few basic ingredients which are easily available in the kitchen. Chicken chilli roast is spicy recipe and you can adjust the spices to suit your taste.
Marinate chicken with crushed pepper, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. You can fry the chicken pieces or just cook them with the masala. Frying marinated chicken in oil gives more taste to the recipe. However you can prepare it the other way too.
Crushed shallots with ginger, garlic and green chillies enhance the taste of the chicken and give a unique taste the chicken fry. This recipe can be prepared for any party or occasions and can be served as a starter too.
½ kg chicken
1 tsp pepper, crushed or powdered
½ tsp red chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
2 green chillies
8-10 garlic cloves
2 inch ginger
1 spring curry leaves
2 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 small tomatoes, chopped
1-2 springs curry leaves
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
½ tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp pepper powder (opt)
Coconut oil/any cooking oil
- Wash chicken several times in water until clear. Cut them into small piece. Drain water completely.
- In a bowl, add chicken pieces, crushed pepper, red chilli powder, turmeric and salt. Mix everything well and rest the marinated chicken for 20-30 minutes at room temperature.
- Crush shallots, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and green chillies in a mixer jar or using a mortar-pestle. Keep this masala aside.
- Heat enough oil in a kadai for deep frying onions and chicken. Once oil is hot, add sliced onions and fry them till brown. Keep the fried onions aside.
- In the same oil, add marinated chicken and fry for 2-3 minutes on a medium flame. Take out the fried chicken and drain excess oil on a kitchen towel. To the same oil, add curry leaves and fry it. Keep aside the fried curry leaves too.
- Heat another pan and add 2 tbsp oil. You can use the oil in which onions and chicken were fried.
- To the hot oil add crushed shallots, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and green chillies paste. Saute well till the raw smell goes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and little salt. Cook well until tomatoes are mushy.
- Add fried chicken and browned onions to the cooked tomato mixture. Mix gently and add pepper powder. Check for salt and add if required. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 2 minutes on a low flame.
- Transfer the chicken into a serving bowl. Add lemon juice over the chicken and garnish with coriander leaves and fried curry leaves.
- Serve hot Chicken chilli roast.
- Chicken chilli roast is a spicy recipe. However, you can adjust the spices as per your likings.
- Do not grind the shallot mixture to a fine paste. It should be coarsely ground.
- If you prefer to prepare the recipe only with pepper, skip adding red chilli powder and green chillies. Increase the pepper quantity.
- Marinated chicken can be directly added to the cooked tomatoes instead of deep frying.
- Addition of fried onions to the chicken makes it more tasty and flavorful.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.