Carrot soup is a healthy and nutrient rich appetizer which is perfect for winters. Carrot soup is slightly sweet in taste with a mild flavor of garlic and moong dal. It has a smooth and thick texture but can be prepared to a thin consistency too.
Carrot soup can be prepared by adding other vegetables too like tomato, potato beans etc. You can also add lentils too in the soup. Vegetables and lentils give a thick textured soup. Here in the carrot soup recipe, moong dal is added along with carrots for a thick texture. You can also add potatoes or even cashew nuts too to make the carrot soup thick. Crushed pepper balances the sweet taste of carrot and onions in the soup.
Carrot soup can be prepared without adding lentils and any other vegetables too.
You can also skip grinding the cooked carrots and dals to prepare a broth style soup. Just add spices like pepper, jeera/cumin powders and other herbs to the soup and serve warm.
Soups are soothing and make a comfort food. It boosts immunity as it has various vegetables and lentils along with spices like pepper, cumin etc. It also helps in digestion and common cold & cough. Soups prevents dehydration and makes a best food when you are sick.
Carrots are crunchy and a sweet root vegetable which is a good source of vitamin A, K, fiber, potassium, antioxidants and beta carotenes. Carrot provide various health benefits such as reducing cholesterol, lowers heart risks, improves vision, eye health & immune systems, protects skin, prevents cancer and also helps in reducing the signs of premature aging.
Carrot soup is a simple soup recipe which is very delicious. It warms up your body on cold/winter seasons. Carrot soup is a low calorie soup and hence is very light on stomach. Starting your meal with a warm soup softens and stretches your stomach and makes you feel full.
Soups help you lose weight if you skip adding fresh cream, cheese etc. to it. Include spices like pepper, jeera, ginger, garlic etc. to the soups to make it flavorful and to improve your immune system
Also see similar soup recipes like: Oats soup, tomato soup,
3-4 medium sized carrots, chopped
1 tsp yellow moong dal
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 medium sized onion, chopped
2 tsp butter or olive oil
¼ tsp crushed pepper, or as needed
Salt, to taste
Water, as needed
- Rinse carrots and peel the outer skin. Chop them roughly and take them in a bowl. Wash moong dal few times until clear and soak it in a bowl of water for few minutes.
- Heat a pan and add butter or olive oil. Add crushed garlic and sauté for few seconds. Add chopped onions and sauté till it turns transparent.
- Now add chopped carrots and moong dal. Saute them well for few minutes and add 2 cups water along with salt to taste. Mix well.
- Keep the flame on medium-low and cover the pan with a lid. Cook till carrots and moong dal are done. Do stir in between while they are cooking. You may sometime need more water to cook carrots and dal, so add if required.
- You can also use a pressure cooker to cook carrots and moong dal. If using, cook them for a whistle. Once carrot and moong dal is cooked well, switch off the flame and rest it for some time so that it cools down.
- Now, add it to a mixer jar and grind to smooth paste. Do not add extra water while grinding. You can also use a hand blender to mash carrots and dal. Transfer the ground paste to the same pan along with very little water.
- Keep the pan on a stove and heat it on a low flame. Mix the ground paste well and add more water if required to get a thin soup. Add salt to taste and crushed pepper powder as needed. Mix well and let the soup become hot. Switch off the flame.
- Pour the carrot soup into serving bowls and garnish with crushed pepper or fresh cream.
- Serve warm carrot soup
- Moong dal is added along with carrot to thicken the soup.
- You can add potato instead of moong dal too. if using potato, add half potato and cook along with carrots.
- For a rich taste to the soup, add 3-4 cashews while cooking carrots.
- Pressure cooker can be used to sauté and cook carrots and dal. Pressure cook for one whistle and set aside till the pressure releases naturally.
- You can grind cooked veggies in a mixer or can also use a hand blender to mash them.
- Adjust pepper powder as per your taste.
- Carrot soup tastes good when served warm.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.