Bindi Masala fry is one of the simple recipes you can make for chapathi, roti or as a side dish for your lunch or dinner. Bindi Masala fry is cooked in onion and tomato masala. Addition of spices makes it flavorful and tasty.
Bindi/okra or lady’s finger in English is one of the most popular vegetable. The vegetable is low calorie and rich in minerals, vitamins, fiber and hence helps to control weight. Lady’s finger has iron content in it which helps in avoiding and treating anemia. It also helps our digestive system to function properly. So include bindi in your diet and stay healthy.
Always, select fresh and tender bindi and wash them very well. Dry it completely and then chop it. Fry bindi in oil and do not cover the lid. Do not store bindi in refrigerator for more than 2-3 days as it will lose it nutritional benefits. Fresh bindi are always best and hence recommended.
If you are looking for more Side Dish Recipes for roti or rice, check: mushroom pepper ,mushroom pepper gravy, aloo methi fry, aloo palak dry, Avarekalu masala curry,boiled egg fry, Ennegai,paneer tikka.
Also check our Non-Veg Recipes: Punjabi chicken kukkad, mutton salt & pepper, mutton masala curry, mutton ghee roast, ginger chicken, pepper chicken, chicken chilli roast, spicy chilli chicken, dahi methi murgh, butter chicken, mutton sukkha.
250 gram bindi/okra/lady’s finer
1 onion, sliced
2 tomato, chopped
½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp dhaniya/coriander powder
½ tsp jeera/cumin powder
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp amchur powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
Salt to taste
- Wash okra/bindi thoroughly and drain water completely. Dry bindi well using a kitchen towel so that there is no moisture in them. Remove its stalk and stem. Cut them into medium or small pieces.
- Heat a kadai and add one teaspoon of oil. Once oil become hot, add cut okra/bindi and fry on a medium flame till it cooks well and turns light brown in color. Transfer fried bindi into a plate.
- To the same kadai add 1tbsp oil and add jeera/cumin seeds. Allow the jeera to splutter. Now add sliced onions and fry till golden brown. Add ginger garlic paste and fry well till the raw smell goes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till it turns soft. Let the flame be on medium.
- Now add spice powders like, turmeric, red chilli powder, dhaniya powder, garam masala and jeera powder. Mix everything well.
- Add fried okra and salt to taste. Mix gently. Cover and cook on a low-medium flame for few minutes.
- Check for salt and other spices and add if required. Once bindi is cooked well, add amchur powder and toss it well. You can also add lemon juice instead of amchur powder. Transfer bindi fry to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Bindi fry/Bindi Masala fry with roti/chapathi or with rice.
- Wash okra several times in water and remove its stalk and stem.
- Pat dry okra completely without any moisture left. If there is any moisture, bindi will be sticky.
- Adjust spices as per your taste.
- Amchur powder gives a tangy taste to the Bindi masala fry, but if you do not have it, replace with lemon juice or chat masala powder.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.