This post's average rating is: 5
Benne Biscuits are very popular all over India and is called by different names. These biscuits are available in all the bakeries. These are melt-in mouth biscuits prepared with maida, sugar and ghee. “Benne” means Butter in Kannada. But the strange thing here is the recipe does not use butter at all! These biscuits are called so because it is soft and melts in mouth just like butter.
Benne Biscuits can be easily made at home within few minutes and also very few ingredients are required to make the recipe. You can make it without adding baking powder too. Replacing maida with wheat flour makes it healthier and a good snack for children. Adding cardamom powder gives a nice and fresh flavor to the biscuits which makes them more tempting.
You can make these Biscuits without an oven too. Use your old pressure cooker for the same. The method of preparing in Pressure cooker is given below.
1cup /120 grams Maida or All-purpose flour
½ cup /60 grams of Sugar
¾ cup ghee at room temperature
¼ tsp Baking powder
- Preheat Oven at 180 degree Celsius for 10minutes. Line a baking tray with Parchment/butter paper.
- In a Mixer jar, add sugar, cardamoms and Cloves. Powder it. Adding cardamoms and cloves are optional. If you do not like it, can omit it as well.
- Take in a bowl, Maida, baking powder and powdered sugar. Mix well.
- Now start adding ghee and bring it all together. Do not add all the ghee at once. You should get soft dough. Do not knead it.
- Divide the dough into small equal sized balls and place them all on the baking tray.
- Bake at 180 degree Celsius for 10-12 minutes. Slight cracks would be seen on the cookies.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool. The cookies will be soft and breakable when hot. Let it cool completely.
- Serve with Tea/Coffee.
Benne Biscuits in a pressure Cooker:
- Take an old cooker. Spread a layer or rock salt or sand in the bottom of the cooker and keep a stand or plate on it.
- Keep this on a stove in a medium flame. Remove gasket and weight from the cooker lid and close the cooker. Heat it for 5-8minutes.
- Grease a plate with oil or ghee. Place the small dough balls on the plate.
- Once the cooker is hot, place the plate into it and close the cooker lid. Cook for 10-12minutes on a low flame (only).
- Once done, remove carefully and allow it to cool. Continue the process with the remaining dough also.
- Serve when cooled down completely.
- Replace Maida with wheat flour for healthier version. the biscuits tastes equally good with wheat flour as well.
- These biscuits can be made without adding baking powder also. If you want to give these biscuits to your kids, avoid maida and baking powder and make it with wheat flour, sugar and ghee.
- Ghee can be replaced with oil.
- If you wish, you can add chopped nuts for extra taste and crunch.
- Do not panic, if you see cracks on the biscuits while baking. Slight cracks are ok and shows it has baked well.
- As every oven temperature is different, keep an eye on the biscuits after 8-10 minutes.
- Using salt will stain your pressure cooker and hence suggesting using of sand if possible as it does not stain. Else, use an old pressure cooker to bake biscuits or cakes.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.