Banana rava sheera recipe/sajjige is a sweet pudding prepared with rava, ghee and with a wonderful aroma and taste of bananas. This recipe is very similar to sooji halwa and kesaribath with the addition of banana. Usually this one is prepared during satyanarayana puja and other festivals as an offering to god.
Sajjige/banana rava sheera is a quick as well as very tasty sweet dish recipe and also requires very few ingredients to prepare. Addition of mashed over ripe banana gives you an extra taste as well as flavor to the halwa.
Banana rava sheera/Sajjige recipe is prepared with equal quantity of rava, ghee, and sugar. This is the measurement usually followed to prepare for Prasad. Adding ghee generously makes banana rava sheera rich, but you can reduce the quantity as well. Of course the taste will alter slightly. Use overripe bananas as it gives you a good flavor. Bananas can be boiled or can also be added directly to sheera and cooked. Either way the sheera tastes good.
Sajjige is very soft and creamy in texture as we use milk instead of water here. However, you can replace milk with water or use half of both. Rava/sooji can either be dry roasted or roasted in ghee. But make sure you fry it nicely before adding milk, banana and sugar. Roasting rava finely gives you a smooth, soft and creamy banana rava sheera.
You will also like our other festive sweet recipes: moong dal laddu, maa laddu, peanut laddu, besan laddu, ragi laddu, ragi & oats laddu, gasagase payasa, Semiya payasa, aval payasam, oats payasam, Sharkara payasam, unniyappam, karjikayi, obbattu.
½ cup rava/sooji (fine variety)
½ cup sugar
½ cup ghee
1 ½ cup milk or water or both
1 banana, chopped & mashed
¼ tsp cardamom powder
4-5 cashew nuts (opt)
4-5 Raisins (opt)
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan/kadai and add ghee. Once the ghee is hot, add cashew nuts and fry till it turns golden. Add raisin and fry it as well till it pops up. Remove them from ghee and keep aside.
- To the same hot ghee, add rava/sooji and roast it on a low-medium flame. Rava has to be roasted really well for about 8-10 minutes till it turns fragrant and slightly changes its color. Do not over roast to make rava brown.
- While the rava is getting roasted, on another stove keep a sauce pan with milk or water or a mix of both and bring it to boil.
- Now slowly add the hot milk/water to the roasted rava and keep stirring continuously to avoid forming lumps. Make sure you keep the flame low while adding milk/water.
- Stir continuously till rava absorbs the milk/water completely and gets cooked. Now add mashed banana and sugar. mix well.
- The sugar melts and becomes watery. Keep stirring until the halwa/sheera leaves the sides of the pan. Add cardamom powder, fried cashew nuts and raisins. Give a quick mix and switch off the flame.
- Banana rava sheera/sajjige is ready.
- Fine variety rava, gives a smooth and soft texture to the sajjige.
- Roast rava well until aromatic. Keep the flame on low while roasting rava.
- Sajjige/Banana rava sheera can be prepared on any festival occasions to offer to god as naivedyam.
- Use milk for a soft sajjige. However water or mix of both water and milk can be used too.
- Adding cashew nuts, raisins are optional. Can skip it as well.
- You can replace ghee with oil too. but if preparing as Prasad, add ghee.
- Ghee quantity can be reduced too.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.