Mackerel is a popular fish commonly found in Indian oceans and surrounding seas. It is known as bangada in Marathi, bangude in Kannada/Tulu/Konkani, ayala in Malayalam, kumula in Tamil. Ayala/mackerel is the most preferred and widely consumed fish in India and Ayala fish fry is one of the preferred choice for many fish lovers.
Mackerel is an oily fish, a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids. It is rich in vitamin B12, selenium, copper, phosphorus, magnesium and iron. Mackerel is a healthy fish and can be consumed regularly.
Ayala fish fry recipe is a simple and easy recipe which can be prepared with very few ingredients. Ayala fish fry is prepared by marinating fish with spices and fried in oil. You can also steam, bake or grill these fishes as a healthier option.
½ kg Ayala/mackerel
2 tsp red chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp lemon juice/tamarind juice
1 spring curry leaves
Oil for frying
- Wash fish several times in running water adding pinch salt and turmeric powder. Drain water completely.
- In a bowl, add cleaned fish, turmeric, red chilli powder, lemon juice or tamarind juice, salt and few curry leaves.
- Mix well so that the fish gets coated well with the spices. Cover the bowl with a lid and let it rest for 20-30 minutes. You can keep it for longer time too.
- Heat a pan and add coconut oil/any cooking oil for shallow frying. Add marinated fish pieces into the hot oil and keep the flame on medium-low.
- Fry the fish both the sides till brown and crispy. Transfer the fried fish to a plate and drain excess oil.
- Serve Ayala Fish fry with rice and ayala curry.
- Add spices more or less as required.
- You can pan fry the fishes too.
- As a healthy option, you can bake or grill the fishes in an oven too. Preheat oven at 200 degree Celsius for 10 minutes. Place the marinated fish into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until done.
- You can also steam the marinated fish.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.