Upma is a common breakfast recipe of prepared in south Indian homes. It is one of the simplest and easiest breakfast or snack recipes. You can make upma with different seasonings and vegetables and make it more tasty and healthy. One such addition is Avarekalu or hyacinth beans. It makes upma tasty, aromatic and healthier too.
Avarekalu or hyacinth beans are widely available during winter seasons. These beans give an extra taste and flavor to the upma making it more delicious. It is very simple to prepare and follow the regular upma recipe. Only addition will be cooked Avarekalu. You can add them alone or mix them with other vegetables too.
1 cup rava/sooji
1 cup Avarekalu/hyacinth beans
1 onion, chopped
3-4 green chillies, chopped
1 inch ginger, chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp channa dal
½ tsp urad dal
1 spring curry leaves
1 tbsp Coriander leaves, chopped
1 tsp lemon juice
- Boil water and add Avarekalu in it along with little salt. Cook till soft. Drain water and keep it aside. You can use a pressure cooker to cook it as well. Cook for only 1 whistle.
- Heat a pan. Dry roast rava/sooji on a low flame until you get nice aroma. Keep stirring continuously to avoid burning of rava.
- In the same pan, add 2 tbsp oil/ghee. Once it is hot, add mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Add channa dal, urad dal and fry till dals turn light brown.
- Add curry leaves, ginger and green chillies. Saute for few seconds and add onions. Fry till onions are transparent.
- Now add cooked Avarekalu and mix well. Cook for a minute on a medium flame.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to boil. Add salt to taste.
- Once water boils, keep the flame of low and add roasted rava slowly. Mix well so that there are no lumps.
- Cover the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on a low flame. Once done, add lemon juice and gently give a mix.
- Transfer it to a serving plate and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot Avarekalu Uppittu for breakfast or as a snack.
- Roast rava, else upma becomes mushy.
- Add other vegetables of your choice along with Avarekalu to make upma more healthy and tasty.
- You can add tomato too.
- Avarekalu upma can be served with coconut chutney.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.