Akki rotti is a special and traditional breakfast recipe of Karnataka prepared with rice flour and other spices. You can prepare different varieties of akki rotti and the one which is very unique is Avarekalu Rotti or hyacinth beans flatbread. Avarekalu is available in plenty during winter season in Karnataka and there are many recipes you can prepare with these beans.
Avarekalu rotti is very delicious and flavorful recipe prepared with rice flour, Avarekalu/hyacinth beans, onion, green chilli, coriander leaves, grated coconut and jeera. You can also add chopped dill leaves, cabbage or grated carrot to make it healthier. Addition of Avarekalu, coconut and other spices makes akki rotti more flavorful and tasty.
Akki rotti is gluten free breakfast recipe which is very simple to prepare. Rice flour is mixed with spices, boiled Avarekalu, grated coconut, salt, water and is kneaded to form soft dough. The dough is pressed on a plastic sheet/plantain leaf into thin circle and cooked on a hot tawa. Avarekalu rotti can be served with coconut chutney.
For more Karnataka recipes, check: akki rotti, avalakki uppittu, Avarekalu upma, Hitikida Avarekalu saru, mallige idli, masala dosa, oralu chitranna, kayi sasive anna, vangi bath, neer dose, ragi mudde, lemon rice, mavinakayi chitranna, Ennagai, cucumber idli (taushe), gasa gase payasa.
1 cup rice flour
½ cup Avarekalu/hyacinth beans
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 green chillies, chopped
1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
½ cup grated coconut
2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
1 spring curry leaves, roughly chopped
Water, as required
Salt, to taste
- Separate the seeds from hyacinth beans (Avarekayi). You can either de-skin the seeds or use as such. If you wish to de-skin, soak the peeled beans/seeds in water for 2-3 hours. Hold each bean between your fingers and gently press to remove the skin.
- Add Avarekalu into a Pressure cooker along with 1 cup water and pinch salt. Cook for 2-3 whistles. If you are using de-skinned seeds (Hitikida Avarekalu), cook only for 1 whistle. You can also boil Avarekalu using an open pot till soft. Drain water completely from cooked Avarekalu and keep aside.
- Heat 1-1 ½ cups water in a sauce pan. When the water is about to boil, switch off the flame. Do not roll boil it.
- In a bowl, add rice flour, jeera, chopped onions, green chillies, grated coconut, coriander leaves, curry leaves, cooked Avarekalu and salt to taste. Mix it very well.
- Add boiled water little by little to the rice flour mixture and mix it with the help of a spoon. Do not add more water. Gently knead the dough using your hands and make soft dough. Apply little oil over the dough. Keep it covered for few minutes.
- Heat a tawa and smear oil all over it. keep the flame on medium.
- Grease a plantain leaf or plastic sheet/aluminium foil with oil. Take small ball sized dough and press it on the sheet and make a thin or thick round circle. You can make few holes on them too.
- Transfer the rotti on to the hot tawa upside down and gently remove the plantain leaf/aluminium foil. You can also hold the sheet with the rotti in one hand and peel off the plastic sheet/foil with the other hand and then place the rotti on the hot tawa.
- Drizzle oil all over the rotti and roast it both the sides on a medium flame till golden in color. Transfer prepared rotti on a serving plate and repeat the process with the rest of the dough.
- Serve hot Avarekalu Rotti with coconut chutney or any chutney of your choice.
- You can also add grated carrot, cabbage, dill leaves or any other veggies of your choice too.
- Adjust green chillies more or less as per your taste.
- Do not overcook Avarekalu. It should be cooked well but not mushy.
- Adding warm or hot water and kneading the dough makes avarekalu rotti soft.
- Cook avarekalu rotti both the sides till golden in color on a medium flame.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.