Avalakki Uppittu is an easy and a simple breakfast recipe prepared with poha/rice flakes. This is a quick, healthy and a perfect recipe for the busy mornings. Avalakki Uppittu is a popular and common South Indian breakfast recipe made with thick poha.
Avalakki or Poha are flattened/pressed rice. They are gluten free, rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Poha is easily digestible and hence light on stomach. It contains a good amount of iron and helps in maintaining the hemoglobin levels. Adding vegetables/sprouts/eggs or nuts makes it a power packed meal.
1 cup Avalakki/Poha
1 onion, chopped
2-3 green chillies, chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp jeera
½ tsp urad dal
1 tbsp groundnuts
½ tsp ginger, chopped
1 spring curry leaves
Little coriander leaves, chopped
¼ tsp turmeric powder
- In a bowl, take avalakki and wash 2-3 times. Soak it in enough water for 5 minutes till they are just soft and retains their shape. Drain water completely and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and add 1 tbsp oil. Add mustard seeds and crackle it. Add urad dal, jeera, curry leaves and ground nuts. Fry till ground nuts change its color and are crunchy.
- Add chopped onions, ginger and green chillies. Fry till onions are transparent. Add turmeric and salt to taste.
- Now add avalakki and mix well to coat with the masala. Add lemon juice, chopped coriander leaves and mix again.
- Serve hot for breakfast or as a snack.
- Do not soak avalakki for a longer time. It will become mushy.
- Add vegetables like carrot, boiled peas, potato or sprouts or beaten egg to make it healthier.
- You can add chopped tomatoes along with onions if you wish.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.