Avalakki idli/Poha idlis are soft and fluffy idlis. These idlis are easy and instant breakfast which requires no fermentation. Poha idlis are made with rice rava, poha, curd and Eno fruit salt/baking soda. These idlis are soft, spongy and are extra white in color than our regular rice idli. Serve poha idlis with coconut chutney/sambar or tomato chutney.
Idlis are healthy breakfast as they are steamed and are easily digestible. Poha idli can be prepared either with thin or thick variety of poha/avalakki. Rice rava is used to make the idlis, but you can replace it with our regular upma rava too. These idlis are slightly bland in taste and hence you can season this idli batter with spices and can add grated veggies for your choice too. This makes the poha idli more tasty and healthy.
1 cup Avalakki/poha/rice flakes/Aval
1.5 cups rice rava /idli rava
1 cup curd
Water as needed
1 tsp Eno fruit salt or ¼ tsp baking soda
- In a jar, pulse poha/avalakki coarsely. Wash it 2-3 times and soak in curd for 5-10minutes. If using thin poha, add curd directly to it and soak. Lightly mash with a spoon.
- After 10 minutes, to the soaked poha, add rice rava and salt. Add water as required to get idli batter consistency. Let it sit again for 10minutes.
- In a steamer add water and boil it. Grease idli mold with little ghee or oil.
- Now to the idli batter, add eno fruit salt or baking soda. Give a quick mix.
- Pour a ladle of batter into the greased idli molds. Steam it for 10-12 minutes on a high flame.
- Once done, take out the idli plates from the steamer and rest it for 2 minutes. Using a spoon de-mold the idlis and transfer into a serving bowl.
- Serve hot with Coconut ChutneyCoconut chutney is a side dish made with fresh coconut and spices. Coconuts are widely used in Indian cooking especially south India. Fresh coconut is grated and grind with ginger, green chillies and fried gram into paste. It is seasoned with mustard seeds and curry leaves. The chutney is usually served as a side dish for breakfast with idli, dosa etc. This goes well with any indian meal./sambar or tomato chutney
- You can season the batter with oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Add grated vegetables of your choice to make it healthier.
- After add eno fruit salt or baking soda, steam the idlis immediately. Do not rest the batter after adding eno or soda.
- If the idlis are not steamed within 10 minutes, steam it for few more minutes.
- If you do not have rice rava/idli rava, use sooji/upma rava to prepare these idlis.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks