Aloo palak gravy is a classic Punjabi vegetarian dish prepared with potatoes and spinach/palak. The gravy is very delicious and simple to prepare. In this recipe, palak /spinach leaves are blanched, pureed and cooked with potatoes and later simmered in spices. The gravy has a rich green color which is very appealing. Aloo palak gravy is similar to paneer palak curry.
Aloo palak gravy can be served with roti/naan/paratha/chapathi or rice.
2 cups Palak /Spinach leaves, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
3-4 green chillies
1 tsp ginger-garlic, crushed
½ tsp jeera
½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp kasuri methi, crushed
- Cook potatoes in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles. Cool it and peel out the skin. Cut the potatoes into cubes. keep aside.
- Boil 2-3 cups of water adding salt. When water is boiled, add chopped palak leaves and switch off the flame. Close it with a lid and let it sit for 5minutes.
- Drain the hot water and place the palak into a bowl with cold water.
- After 4-5 minutes, take the palak out of the cold water and grind it to smooth paste along with green chillies.
- In a mixer jar, add chopped tomatoes and grind to paste. Keep aside.
- Heat a kadai or a pan and add oil or ghee. Add jeera and let it splutter.
- Add chopped onions and saute well till light brown.
- Add crushed ginger-garlic and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Now add pureed tomatoes and saute well till it leaves the sides of the pan/kadai.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add cubed potatoes and mix well with the masala. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add pureed spinach. Add ½ cup water to the jar and swirl it. Add this water to the gravy and mix well.
- Let it boil on a medium-low flame for about 5-8 minutes. Check for salt and other spices. Add if required. You can add more water if required or if the gravy is too thick.
- Once done, add crushed kasuri methi and mix well. Transfer aloo palak gravy to a serving bowl.
- Serve Aloo Palak gravy with roti/chapathi or rice.
- Add blanched spinach to cold water to retain its nutrients and color.
- You can puree the spinach without blanching it too. Fry onions with spices and chopped palak. Later grind it to paste with water. Rest of the procedure is same.
- You can add cream to make the gravy more tasty.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks