Aloo methi fry is a delicious side dish recipe which requires very minimal ingredients. Aloo is potato and methi is fenugreek leaves. They both make a very good combination. You can make aloo methi in two different ways-with gravy and another dry. This is a dry recipe which is very quick to make.
Aloo Methi is a very popular Punjabi dish. This recipe is very healthy too. Fenugreek leaves/methi is packed with nutrients. They are slightly better in taste and have a nutty and earthy flavor.
Aloo methi fry can be served as a side dish for roti, paratha and with rice & dal.
4 cups fenugreek/methi leaves
1 onion, chopped
2-3 green chillies, chopped
1tsp ginger-garlic paste
¼ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp dhaniya/coriander powder
½ tsp lemon juice (opt)
- Remove the leaves from the stem. Retain the tender stem from the bunch and discard the heavy ones. Put them into a bowl filled with water. Rinse well.
- Squeeze out the water from the leaves. Chop them roughly and keep aside.
- Wash potatoes and peel the skin. Chop them into cubes. Add them to a bowl with water. This helps to prevent discoloration of potatoes.
- Heat a pan/kadai and add oil. When oil is hot, add jeera. When it splutters, add hing.
- Add chopped onions and green chillies. Saute for a minute. Also add ginger garlic paste. Fry till the raw smell of ginger and garlic goes.
- Add cubed potatoes, turmeric and sauté well. Close the lid and cook potatoes on a medium flame. Let them cook well in the oil till the edges are browned. You can sprinkle little water if required. Add dhaniya powder and salt to taste. Mix well.
- When the potatoes are cooked well, add roughly chopped methi leaves and stir. Fry for few minutes. Let the water evaporate completely. Sprinkle lemon juice on top.
- Serve hot with roti/paratha or rice.
- You can boil or pressure cook potatoes and cube them. This will help to save your time.
- Instead of green chillies, you can add red chilli powder too.
- Using mustard oil gives a nice flavor to the recipe. Its optional and can use any cooking oil.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.