Aloo matar recipe is a popular North Indian style curry prepared with potatoes and green peas. The combo of these two veggies along with mild spices makes the curry rich in flavors and taste.
Aloo matar curry is simple to prepare and requires very basic ingredients too. The curry goes very well with jeera rice, roti, chapathi and even with plain rice. The recipe can be prepared with fresh, frozen or dried peas. Potatoes can be cooked in a pressure cooker to speed up the process. Slice the potatoes slightly bigger in size to avoid it getting mushy and mixing it all in the curry.
Green peas are quick growing vegetable which contains natural sweetness and starch in them. It is low in calories, free of cholesterol, rich in antioxidants, fiber, protein, vitamins and contains many more essential vital nutrients. Green peas are good for weight loss, diabetes and it also reduces the risk of cancer, stroke and heart diseases. Include this simple vegetable moderately in your diet to add healthier nutrients which are important to your health.
Aloo matar can be prepared as gravy or as a dry recipe too. The entire recipe can be prepared in a pressure cooker to make it instantly. Aloo matar curry is prepared by adding boiled potatoes and peas to the onion tomato gravy along with spices. If using fresh or frozen peas, no need to cook it before and can be added directly along with boiled potatoes and cooked. But if using dried peas, do soak them in water for few hours and pressure cook along with potatoes before adding it to the curry.
You will also like our similar veg curry recipes; avarekalu masala curry, mushroom pepper gravy, aloo palak gravy, soya masala curry, rajma masala curry, channa masala curry, kadala curry and more on the blog.
Also check our varieties of rice recipes here; ghee rice, methi pulav,methi matar pulav, mint pulav, mustard rice,lemon rice, sesame rice,mushroom pulav,coriander rice, raw mango rice, soya pulav, rajma pulav, carrot rice, schezwan fried rice,
2-3 medium sized potatoes /aloo
½ cup green peas/matar, fresh or frozen
2 onions, chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, for garnishing
Salt, to taste
- Peel the outer skin of potatoes and rinse them well. Cut them into slightly bigger cubes and pressure cook for 1 or 2 whistles only. Do not overcook as potatoes turns mushy when added in the curry as it cooks further for few minutes.
- Rinse tomatoes well and chop them finely. In a mixer jar, add the chopped tomatoes and grind to puree. Do not add water while grinding. Keep aside.
- Heat a kadai or heavy bottomed pan and add 2 tbsp oil. When the oil is hot, add jeera/cumin seeds and allow it to splutter for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and sauté well till it turns soft and transparent. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off. Now add tomato puree and mix well.
- Cook well for 2-3 minutes on a medium flame. Keep stirring at intervals. Now add spice powders like turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Mix well and add salt to taste.
- Cook for few more minutes until the onion tomato mixture leaves oil from the sides on the pan/kadai. Now add boiled potatoes, fresh peas and water. Add water as per the consistency you prefer aloo matar curry to be.
- Cover the kadai or pan with a lid and cook for few minutes until potatoes and peas are done. Stir at intervals and check for salt and other spices, add if needed.
- Once potato and peas and incorporated well with onion tomato gravy, switch off the flame and transfer the curry to a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve Aloo matar with jeera rice, ghee rice, chapathi, roti etc.
- Aloo matar can be prepared using dried peas too. soak them in water for few hours and pressure cook peas before adding it to the curry.
- Tomatoes can be chopped and added to the curry too.
- Potatoes can be cubed and added to the curry along with peas without pressure cooking it too.
- Adjust spices to suit your taste.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.