Aloo Bonda is a deep fried snack made with mashed potatoes with spices and gram flour. It is very easy, quick and tasty tea time snack recipe. The potatoes are cooked, mashed and seasoned with onions, green chillies, curry leaves and coriander leaves. Small dumplings are made and they are dipped in gram flour batter and then deep fried till golden.
Serve Aloo Bonda hot with a cup of Tea/Coffee. Tastes good with Tomato Ketchup or Coconut Chutney. If you are looking for more such Snack Recipes check: moong dal vada, masala vada,urad dal vada
For Potato Filling:
½ tsp Mustard seeds
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 green chillies, chopped
1tsp chopped ginger
2tsp chopped coriander leaves
Few curry leaves
A pinch hing/Asafetida
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
For gram flour batter:
1 cup Gram flour (besan)
2tbsp rice flour
½ tsp red chili powder
A pinch Turmeric powder
Oil for deep frying
- Cook the Potatoes in a pressure cooker/steamer. Peel the skin and mash it lightly.
- Heat a fry pan-add Oil. Add mustard seeds and hing. Allow the mustard to splutter. Add finely chopped onions, green chillies and ginger. Fry for few minutes till onions are light pink.
- Add curry leaves, turmeric powder, salt and mashed potatoes. Mix well adding coriander leaves. Cook for some time and transfer this to a bowl. Make medium sized balls from the mixture and keep aside.
- In a bowl, take gram flour, rice flour and salt. Add water as needed and make a batter which is thick but still flowing in consistency.
- Add to the batter, red chili powder and turmeric powder. Mix everything well.
- In a Kadai, heat oil for deep frying. Dip each potato balls in the gram flour batter. Coat it well and slowly drop them to the hot oil. Fry on a medium flame till golden brown. Drain on a tissue to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot with Coconut chutney or Tomato Ketchup or plain with tea/coffee.
- The gram flour batter has to be thick but in a flowing consistency. Do not make it thin.
- Can replace green chillies and add pepper powder or red chilli powder to make potato masala/filling.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.