Almond cookies are simple and melt in mouth cookies made with almonds, flour, butter or oil. These cookies can be made with either wheat flour or all-purpose flour. Here in the recipe, Maida/All-purpose flour is used. Powdered almonds and crushed almonds give the cookies a wonderful Almond flavor and nutty bites to the cookies.
Baking powder and soda used in the recipe is very minimal. These cookies make a good snack and can be served along with tea/coffee. To make Almond cookies healthier, prepare them with wheat flour.
Almonds or Badam are crunchy nuts and makes a nutritious snack. It can be consumed either raw or roasted or even soaked. They are rich in nutrients and have amazing health benefits. Almonds are used in cooking to make gravies or curries rich and tasty.
They are used in the preparation of both sweets and savories. Almond flakes are often used to garnish sweet dishes. As said, they are very healthy nut which helps us with digestion, weight loss, keeps heart healthy, lowers blood glucose, fights cancer etc. Almonds are good source of antioxidants and have many fantastic health benefits, so make a habit of taking almonds regularly.
1 cup/120 grams Maida/All-purpose flour
½ cup/100 grams Sugar; can decrease the quantity to 80grams
¼ cup /60 grams Powdered Almond*
¼ cup/60ml Oil or Soft Butter-Ref Notes*
1/3rd tsp Baking powder
1/8th tsp Baking soda
6-8 Almonds, roughly chopped/Crushed
A pinch salt
- Preheat oven at 180 degree Celsius for 10minutes. Line a baking tray with butter paper/parchment paper.
- Powdered Almond*: Take 10-15 almonds in a mixer jar and grind them to fine powder. You can dry roast them as well before grinding to powder.
- Take a bowl and sieve together Maida, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add sugar, powdered almonds and oil. Mix well so that all the ingredients are well combined. Add roughly chopped or crushed Almonds and mix again. You will get very smooth and soft dough.
- Take small portions from the dough and make small round balls of it. Arrange them on the greased baking tray. Using a fork, gently press the balls to get lines on them. You can press them again to get a Cris-cross design.
- Place the baking tray in the preheated oven and bake at 180 degree Celsius for 15-18 minutes or till the sides of the cookies turn light brown.
- Remove the tray from the oven and allow it to cool. The cookies will be soft when hot. So let them cool completely.
- Serve with Tea/Coffee or as a Snack.
- Replace, maida with wheat flour, to make these cookies healthier.
- Baking powder and soda is used in a very little quantity and hence makes a good snack to kids.
- You can dry roast almonds and then powder them to get Almond powder. Dry roasting enhances the almond flavor.
- If you wish to use butter for the recipe, always use soft butter. Cream the butter and sugar first and later add the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- The dough is very soft. Do not add extra flour and make it hard.
- You can add even crushed walnuts or cashew nuts to get an extra crunchiness to the cookies
- You can place almond flakes on the cookies and bake them if you wish.
- Baking time varies with every oven. So do check the cookies after 15minutes.
- Cookies are soft when they are hot. Allow them to cool completely.
- Store Almond Cookies in an air tight container.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.