This post's average rating is: 3.3
Akki Rotti is a breakfast/lunch recipe made of rice flour. It is a unique and popular breakfast item of Karnataka state. Akki means ‘rice’ and Rotti means ‘bread’ in Kannada language.
Akki Rotti is prepared using Rice flour which is mixed with salt, water, chopped onions, green chillies, ginger, coriander leaves and curry leaves. You can also add grated carrots, dill leaves and any vegetables of your choice to make it healthier. This makes a very tasty, filling and healthy breakfast option.
Akki rotti is tapped on a banana leaf to form a circle and then cooked on a hot tawa. It can be prepared directly on tawa too, but requires some practice. As banana leaf is not easily available, you can use an aluminum foil or plastic sheet as alternative. Akki rotti can be made either thick or thin. If you like it crispy, tap it as thin as possible.
You will also like other Rotti Recipes here: Jolada rotti, Ragi rotti, Avalakki rotti.
2 cups Rice flour
2 onions, finely chopped
Small piece ginger, chopped
3-4 green chillies finely chopped
1 tsp Jeera/Cumin seeds
¼ cup fresh coconut, grated
2 tbsp roasted peanuts (optional)
1 carrot, grated (optional)
¼ cup dill leaves (optional)
2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped (skip, if using dill leaves)
Few Curry leaves, roughly chopped
Warm Water –as needed
- In a bowl, take rice flour and salt to taste. To this add, chopped onions, ginger, green chillies, coriander leaves, curry leaves and jeera.
- Add chopped dill leaves (opt), roasted peanuts* (opt) and grated carrots (opt). Also add grated fresh coconut and mix everything well.
- Add warm water little by little to form soft dough. Sprinkle little oil on top of the dough and keep it covered for some time. You may require about 1-1 ¼ cup of warm water depending upon the quality of the rice flour. The dough has to be soft and non-sticky.
- Grease a Butter paper/aluminum sheet or a plantain leaf with oil.
- Take a portion of the dough and place it on the aluminum sheet/Butter paper/Plantain leaf.
- Flatten the dough using your palms to get a round rotti. You can dip your hand in water so that you can flatten the dough easily.
- Heat a tawa. When hot, grease it with oil. Gently take out the spread rotti on you hand and place it on the tawa. You can also place the sheet upside down on the hot tawa and remove it after a minute slowly so that the Rotti doesn’t break.
- Close and cook on a medium flame. Sprinkle oil all over the Rotti. Flip and cook the other side as well.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney, pickle or any other chutney of your choice.
- Roasted Peanuts: Heat a pan and add peanuts. On a low flame, roast it for few minutes, till it changes the color and starts to pop up. Transfer it to a plate and cool it. With your hands, rub them gently to remove the outer skin.
- Adding veggies and greens makes akki rotti more healthier and filling.
- Do not add all the water at a time. Add little by little. Getting a soft non sticky dough is very important to make a good akki rotti.
- If you have added more water, add little rice flour and mix well.
- Warm water helps to make soft akki rotti.
- If you like a thin and crispy rotti, tap the dough as thin as possible.
We hope you like our recipes and will enjoy trying it. We love to hear from you about your experiment in trying our recipes and how it turned out for you. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Also do share the recipes with your friends and family on your social media networks.